Author Interview Science Fiction Author Mike Miracle


I want to thank Mike Miracle for consenting to an author interview. I really enjoyed reading through this, and getting to know more about him. If his personality is any indication to how his upcoming book is going to be, it's going to be stellar!

--Arwen

If you could, would you tell us a little about yourself and your background?
Originally from the east coast, Mike and his family now reside on a farm in the Midwest. Mike was able to use his programming skills to start his own small business from home, where every day is casual Friday. Mike has always searched for ways to express creativity and imagination. Through music, art and now the printed word. Mike’s childhood love of science fiction has never been stronger. There are plenty of crime dramas in the office library, but science fiction still dominates.

How long have you been writing?
I have been writing for a long time. This will be the first time I’ve written a book to publish.

So, what have you written?
The exact category is yet to be determined. It’s Sci Fi, with maybe action/drama/thriller in the blender too.

One character lies in wait to seek revenge for his wife’s accidental death. The Sci Fi part is an alternate version of the afterlife called The Next. Where the newly arrived clients find out that they have a choice of what happens to them. They can move on, go back to their previous life or let chance decide.

Do you have a trailer or do you intend to create one for your own book?




Where can we find your books?
When this group of random hobos I’ve contracted to edit/distribute the book have completed their work, I’m told that it will be available at all usual places. Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iTunes.

What genre are your books?
Sci Fi. The book’s central theme is an alternate version of the afterlife. There is also drama, action. Some of it may be up to the interpretation of the reader. But I know it’s important to narrow down your genre.

Is there something about this genre that draws you to it?
As a writer, you can create your own world. You aren’t limited to the things in this world.

Do you have a favorite book that you've written?
Well I’ve only written 1, it’s the winner so far. After I put the finishing touches on book 2??? It’s like asking a parent which child is their favorite.


Why do you write?
It satisfies two things. It’s an outlet for creativity and storytelling. I’m writing for the joy of doing it right now. Being able to self-publish has opened that world to everyone willing to put in the work. No longer do you have to beg publishing houses to look at your work.

Where do you see your writing taking you in the future?
Maybe a regional book fair? Selling stuff out of the back of a van? That van of course will be down by the river.

Where do the your ideas come from?
Would it be wrong to say the voices inside my head? That’s probably a common answer. I think it’s usually a memory of something that triggers a future story.

Some authors use outlines, some just fly by the seat of their pants. How do you write?
A combination of the two. You must have an idea of the beginning and the middle. The ending can be fluid. I’ve found it better to not set a word or page count. Just see where the story goes. Don’t stretch it out just for the sake of making the book longer. Stories often go off in the weeds that way and the reader loses interest or it’s too difficult to follow.


How long on average does it take you to write a book?

Around a year. It was longer with the first book. I was working two jobs and going to grad school.

Do you have a special time to write or how is your day structured?
Like most wannabe authors I have a full-time job and a family to spend time with. So my writing time is limited to the evenings or weekends mostly…

Do you design your own book covers?
No. The publisher that I contracted to do the editing/distribution will also design a few covers for me to choose from. Judging by the editing, I’m expecting to see lots of crayon and yarn used. Maybe some popsicle sticks? I’ve gotten recommendations from other authors and offers from artist that I’ll explore for book number 2.


Do you think that the cover plays an important part in the buying process?

That’s what I’ve been told. Lots of competition to catch the reader’s eye. Every book has magnificent artwork to catch the eye. Makes me wonder if a simple black and white cover would stand out?

How do you market your books?
I’ve read many times that the best way to sell your first book is to write book 2. I’ll be trying that plus all the other exposure I can get. Author interviews (thank you).

Do you have any advice for other authors on how to market their books?
No, but if anyone has any advice for me, please share it.

Do you have any advice on how to get book reviews?
Keep asking. It’s probably like selling door to door vacuum cleaners. Lots of rejection, but you will still find plenty of people to buy a vacuum. Don’t get discouraged, keep asking.

What are your thoughts on good vs. bad reviews?
I haven’t gotten any reviews just yet. The advice I’ve seen is don’t get too emotionally invested either way.


Who are your favorite authors?
Jim Butcher, Michael Connelly, John Sandford, Lisa Gardner, Dean Koontz, Joe Nesbo, Lee Child. I could probably keep going, but I’ll stop at Stephen King.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Keep writing. Don’t get suckered into one of those self-publishing packages. Ask other authors who they used for editing, cover design…

How can readers discover more about you and you work?

Website:  https://mikemiraclebooks.com/
Blog: https://mikemiraclebooks.com/blog/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mikemiracleauthor/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/_mikemiracle
Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/58117512-mike-miracle
Amazon Author Page:  Won’t let me create it until the book is finished.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikemiracleauthor/

Link To Article

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Book This Weekend

The Next Series